24 March 2007

Global Terms

As global connectivity, integration, and interdependence continues to increase, our students keep encountering new terms describing global activities and phenomena. I have listed just a few examples of terms that my students, both in literature and composition courses, have asked about and researched.


A photo from my recent visit to New York City's China Town. Cultural tourism, right?

  • Acculturation - as defined by Answers.com
  • Cultural Imperialism - as defined by The Globalization Website (Emory University)
  • Cultural Industries - as defined by the UNESCO Culture website
  • Cultural Tourism - as defined by the UNESCO Culture website
  • Islamophobia (or arabophobia) as defined by the Islamophobia.org website

  • Undoubtedly, this list will grow much longer as I my students begin to work on more activities that focus on the global context.

    No comments: